July 3, 2014

Gluten Free Blackberry Crisp ~ Happy 4th of July~

Nothing says summer like blackberries. I grew-up picking blackberries so my mom could make jam and cobbler. We would always have a huge blackberry cobbler for the 4th of July…I remember looking forward to that first bite. I've continued this tradition with my family…my kids loving picking berries and eating them.

This crisp topping is fast and easy and super yummy.
4-5 cups of blackberries (give or take-fill that dish up)
1 1/2 cups gluten free old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon (one for the berries and 2 for the topping)
3/4 cup almond flour / meal
1/8 cup chopped dry roasted almonds
1/3 cup coconut oil (refined)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup raw sugar (to sprinkle over the berries)
 
Rinse and drain berries really well and then spread in to 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar (I used between a 1/8 to a 1/4 cup depending on how sweet the berries are) and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.

In a separate bowl mix oats, brown sugar, almond flour, cinnamon, and chopped almonds. Pour coconut oil and syrup over the mixture and mix until well. 

Spread mixture over berries and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. Every oven is different so keep an eye on this so the topping doesn’t burn. Right when I see the berries bubbling I cook for about 15 min. Allow to cool. I serve it with coconut ice cream.
HAPPY 4th of July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment